Saturday, January 17, 2015

1st blog post!

 As I writer, I am very organized, fact-driven, and to the point.  In English 201, I hope to learn how to write directly, yet more creatively.  Whenever I write research papers, my paragraphs are definitely fact-heavy, thus I hope to learn to write more conversationally and in turn put more of myself into my writing.  My writing may seem "cold" but I am a very logical thinker and that's how my writing comes across.  I'm a very curious person and I'm excited to pursue topics related to my field (education) that I feel passionate about.  I think that this class will open up my mind to different ways of writing and in turn make me a better writer.  Like I said before, I'm going into Education, elementary specificallyIts very interesting to me to look at the home lives of students.  Some students' home lives are not supportive, and thus, changes their mindset towards school.  I also am very interested in sociology and maybe combining that with education will produce a very interesting research question.  Some other topics I'm interested within that umbrella are the differences (pros/cons) of public schooling compared to private schooling, and also how the "common core" initiative is changing schooling.  And although I'm not going into law enforcement, crime and the psychology behind it has always been a topic I have been curious about.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Rachel, for sharing your first blog post with me (and the entire world!). I can certainly see what you mean by wanting to write both directly and creatively. I, too, enjoy informational and argumentative forms of writing, though I think that sometimes we feel we have to be formal and then sacrifice what it means to be creative.

    As you consider your goals of pursuing elementary education, this approach to writing will be especially important for the students you teach. Sometimes I think that we create very “fake” writing tasks in schools, and making sure that we are meeting the needs of diverse learners is incredibly important, especially as we aim to help them become better writers.

    I look forward to working with you throughout the rest of the semester!

    Dr. Hicks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your logical writing will be very helpful and useful with your informative essay because audiences tend to pay attention to hard facts. However, by adding creativity and voice, you may be able to evoke emotions from your audiences, especially in sensitive areas of education. I know first-hand that you are very passionate about these issues, and you can incorporate this passion into your paper to add personality! I'm glad I have this class with you this semester! I'm also sorry if this is really poorly written because I couldn't figure out which profile to select and my previous comment was deleted. Whoops.

    ReplyDelete